CHEMICAL PEELS BOUNTIFUL
All the Facts You Need About Chemical PeelsYou’ve probably heard of a chemical peel but may not really understand what they are all about. First, we’ll tell you what chemical peels are not. They are not peel-off masks. Those dry as a thin film on your skin and are then pulled off. Second, a chemical peel may or may not make your skin flake and come off, that all depends on the peel’s strength. So then, what is a facial peel? That’s the question we’re here to answer. Read on for all the information you need about chemical facial peels.
Put simply, a peel is a type of exfoliation that uses acid to get rid of dead skin. The acid weakens the bond between cells and sloughs dead skin away. While a facial scrub rests on top of the skin, a peel is absorbed by the skin and accesses deeper cell layers.
Facial Peel Basics
The most common ingredient in a peel is acid. Natural peels use fruit-based acids such as Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA) or Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA).
Chemical Peel Ingredients
- AHAs are found naturally in glycolic and lactic acid. They are mild and a good choice for dry skin. AHAs improve skin hydration while exfoliating.
- BHAs are found in salicylic acid and are best for oily skin. They are stronger than AHAs and are absorbed deeper into the skin.
A chemical peel will provide you with numerous of benefits. After a peel you’ll notice an improvement in your skin tone. A peel will leave your skin feeling smooth, while making your skin glow, giving you a bright and radiant appearance.
Facial Peel Benefits
Types of Peels:
- Deep Peel – These peels are not to be trifled with. They use harsh chemicals such as carbolic acid. The process is painful and may result in second degree burns. You’ll need an extended recovery time after undergoing this severe treatment which will leave your skin red and flaking off your face.
- Medium Peel – This is a milder version of the deep peel. It also uses harsh chemicals and leaves the skin red. Recovery time from this peel is about a week.
- Light Peel – By far the gentlest peel, this one is highly effective and requires no recovery time. It will remain on your skin after application and is not washed off. Keep in mind that although this is a gentle peel, your skin will be sensitive to the sun after the process, so be sure to slather on the sunscreen and limit your sun exposure.